Chapter Ten - Part 3

Chapter Ten          

by sloanranger  

Part 3

The next morning Elaine did some errands and afterwards stopped at Fernando's for coffee.

Carrying a paperback with her almost everywhere, she took the book with her into the restaurant. An online friend had turned her on to a British writer, Terry Pratchett. He was wonderfully funny. This was the fourth novel of his she'd read. A few minutes later she was enjoying her Columbian and engrossed in her book when the server came by.

"Would you like a refill, Mrs. May?"

Elaine smiled. "Yes, thank you."  As she looked up she saw Cassie enter the restaurant and come towards her.

"I saw you through the window; thought I'd join you." She turned to the server.

"Can you bring me a vodka Bloody Mary?"

"What's up?" Elaine smiled when the server left. "It's not like you to have a drink in the afternoon."

"Worse than that, I'm headed for a parent teacher conference." Cassie smiled, trying to make light of it.

Elaine laughed, "Well, maybe one won't hurt. Is Billy in trouble?"

"Not that I know of. The teacher just said he was a little distracted, grades affected, that kind of thing. But it's got me worried, anyway."

"Sweety, listen, don't worry. It's probably nothing."

They finished together and as Cassie stood, Elaine took some Doublemint from her purse.

"Here," she said, and  handed it to her friend.

(To be continued).