Chapter Twenty Five - Part 3

Chapter  Twenty Five                  

by sloanranger

Part  3

"When Billy finally told Cassie about it, she told him not to say anything to Tom. But of course, after the incident with you that day, he told his father. Now it seems, Paula wants custody and Tom thinks with all that's happened she may be able to get it."

"The thing is," Steve continued, "Tom isn't his real father. Of course Tom knew that. But now he thinks the only way he may be able to keep the boy is to divorce Cass and convince Paula that Cass won't have anything to do with him again."

Tears formed in Elaine's eyes. "But Cass couldn't handle that, not now," she whispered.

"No," Steve said, "but much less could she handle losing Billy. Tom says he's been talking with Paula about voluntarily allowing Billy to stay with her two weeks a month. He's trying to stave off any legal action for as long as he can."

"Cassie," Elaine choked.

"Honey, it's not your fault." Steve said. "She's not well."

"Has he told her, yet?" Elaine said.

"No, he doesn't want to upset her in her condition."

"Somebody's got to tell her, Steve."

"Yes, well -  let Tom do his own dirty work," he said. Steve took his wife in his arms and held her for a very long time.

(To be continued).