Chapter Two - Part 2

Arachnia                

by sloanranger

Chapter TwoPart 2

It was only natural though, Elaine thought; she had time to learn new things where her friend had none.

They had a similar sense of humor though and liked the same music – old standards, preferably Cole Porter or Gershwin, and The Bee Gees. What was more, their husbands seemed to get along – very important in maintaining wifely friendships.

This afternoon they had a date to go to the movies. A retrospective on evil women was playing at the Palm Theater, a double feature: "Black Widow," a film from the eighties with Debra Winger and Teresa Russell; and "Another Man's Poison," a fifties entry with Bette Davis and then husband, Gary Merrill.

&&&                                                           

Later that afternoon, when the women left the theater, it was coming on three o'clock.

"Do we have time for coffee or do you have to pick Billy up?" Elaine asked her friend.

"No, he's at the Prestons. It's Mike's birthday and his parent's got him a tent as a present. He invited Billy and another kid over tonight for pizza and a sleepover.

"Great, you're free. Fernando's?"

The new restaurant had been a former lunch-room and bakery situated on Third Avenue. Newly redone, high-backed wooden booths finished in a dark stain and padded with green upholstery had been installed to replace the long, glassed-in baker's shelving that had been on the right. On the left wall, was a mirror-backed bar; Spanish style murals covered the other walls.

In the center of the room the lunch counter had been removed and the area scattered with hand carved tables. They sported lime-colored tablecloths with baskets of limes instead of flowers as centerpieces. Dark green carpeting and black, Mexican-wrought chandeliers completed the scheme.

The women chose one of the padded booths on the right wall and the server brought menus. Elaine liked coffee and Fernando's was the only place in town that she knew for certain, served Colombian - her preference.  Cassie ordered espresso.

(To be continued).