Chapter Six - Part 1

Chapter  Six            

by  sloanranger

Part 1

The waiter came back with their drinks and a dish of lime wedges.

When he left, Elaine returned to their previous subject:

"You'd think they'd be a little cautious, the men. I mean - widowed - three times?"

"Exactly." Cassie said. "Losing one husband is tragic enough. Two...I don't know, seems rather unlucky."

"Yeah and three is just plain careless," Elaine finished.

Cassie laughed again in spite of herself.

Studying their drinks for a moment, both got quiet. All of a sudden they looked up at each other.

Cassie spoke first. "No."

"What?" Her friend voiced the unspoken thought: "You think she's above that sort of thing or just incapable?"           

"Elaine, you don't you really think so?"

"That she killed them - why not?"

"I don't know. Does she look like a murderer to you?" Cassie asked, sounding a little distracted.

"I can't say as I know what a murderer looks like or murderess for that matter, but she could definitely be cast as a femme fatale."

"Did you hear anything about the others?" Cassie asked.           

"Well, I don't know anything about how she lost the first one, but I heard that her second husband was named David."

"And how did he die?" Cassie said.

"I'm not really sure," Elaine answered. "Apparently he was in the hospital for some minor thing but somehow died. Some kind of drug mix-up."

"It can happen," Cassie said.

"Sometimes I forget you're a nurse, Cass. But, Bob - having your own car fall on you?"

"The jack failed, right - while he was underneath working on it?" Cassie said.

At Elaine's skeptical look, she said: "Come on Elaine, it is possible."

"Possible, but a little improbable."

"Did the weight of the car kill him?" Cassie said.

"I don't know. Steve said that his skull was fractured and I guess the car broke a bunch of bones, but I think he actually died of shock or pneumonia or something like that in the hospital."

"You're kidding?" Cassie shook her head, disbelieving.

"It's what I heard, I don't really know."

(To be continued).