Chapter Seventeen

Chapter  Seventeen

by sloanranger 

Elaine hadn't thought much about Cass while she and Steve were in Hawaii, she'd basically put everything about Cassie's past out of her mind. Billy's brief, but dramatic disappearance had not only brought the Mays back from Hawaii, it brought thoughts about Cassie back to the forefront of Elaine's mind.

A couple of weeks after the incident, Steve came home from work one evening with a troubled look on his face.

"What's the matter?" Elaine said, coming into the living room. He let out a big sigh and laid his briefcase on the coffee table.

"Not there, honey - here, give it to me," she said, taking his case. "Be right back." She returned in less than a minute sans briefcase but carrying two glasses of zinfandel.  "Now tell me what's wrong."

"I had lunch today with Tommy," he said.

"And...?"

"And he's really worried about Cass."

"She's still upset about Billy, Steve. She'll snap out of it."

"That's what I told him; but he seems to think Cassie's keeping something from him."

"What do you mean?"

"He says that every time they talk about Billy, now - she's the one who wants to drop the subject. Before, she wouldn't stop pestering the boy to make him account for his absence. "

"I don't understand," Elaine said.

"Neither does Tom, or do I for that matter," he answered. "And Billy has clammed up again."

"I'm sure it's nothing," Elaine said, after a moment. "Maybe I can talk to her."

(To be continued).