Chapter Twenty Three - Part 3

Chapter  Twenty Three                           

by sloanranger

Part    3

"But surely, Tommy..."

"Not even Tom. He thinks I had a quick high school marriage and divorce...oh, what difference does it make, now?" Cassie said, looking more and more distracted. She was wringing her hands now and walking around the patio.

"I finished my other nursing degree though," she stopped suddenly and continued her story. "My R.N."

Elaine  had never seen her friend so overwrought.

"It must have been hard with Billy," Elaine said, making sympathetic sounds.                                                    

"Oh, it was hard," she said. " You have no idea. Studying and working - up to 16 hours a day, sometimes... but it was worth it. I made her pay – I made both of them pay."

"Who - pay what?  You mean, Paula?"

Elaine realized suddenly this was someone she didn't know, someone utterly different than the person that had been her friend for almost nine years.

"You didn't...  Cass!" Elaine said, looking horrified at her friend.

Cassie gave her a stricken look: "You don't understand, "Cassie said. "I had to take care of Billy...and...."  She looked suddenly fierce now, at the mention of Billy's name.

Elaine stood up and was backing away from her friend.

"Cassie, you need help," she said.

Seemingly dumbstruck, Cass moved toward Elaine, her arm outstretched.

(To be continued).