Chapter Thirty - Part 3

Chapter Thirty                  

by sloanranger

Part 3

"What do you think will happen to her?" Paula asked, fidgeting with her hands.

"You mean Cassie – sorry, Elizabeth?" Elaine said, grimacing as she sipped her tea. "Wow. This is really strong, Paula. What kind is it?"

"It's called kuding; it's a Chinese tea. Yes, it's a little bitter but it has all kinds of health benefits."

"Really?" Elaine said. "Never heard of it – oh wait.  Yes, I think maybe I did read something."

Elaine thought a bit but nothing came so she went back to what they'd been talking about.

"About - Cassie?" Elaine began....

"What else were we talking about?" Paula snapped.

"Sorry," Elaine said, surprised at her demeanor. "It's the two names; it's confusing."

Paula continued. "What happened - why is she in the hospital?"

"It was due to some kind of a nervous breakdown. She attacked me," Elaine said. "But in fairness, Cassie's been under an enormous amount of stress lately."  

Elaine suddenly felt the need to defend her friend.

"Will they try her?" Paula asked, ignoring the first part of Elaine's explanation.

"You mean in court? Elaine asked. "I don't think so, not now. She'll be in the hospital for a long time. I really don't know after that. If she has a good lawyer..."

Paula cut in: "I have a little money, from Bob's insurance. I don't know if it'll be enough."

"Well you don't have to worry about it right away, Paula. I don't expect she'll be out of the hospital for some time."

(To be continued).