Chapter One - Part 2

Arachnia

by sloanranger

Part 2

Cassie was asking if she'd seen the newspaper, telling Elaine news about the death of someone they knew slightly from the country club. Some kind of a freak accident her friend continued, in his driveway. He had been working underneath his car when it fell on him. It had broken or fractured almost every bone in his body, including his skull.

What was notable Cassie told her friend, was that he was the third husband lost by his wife, a female acquaintance of theirs. After talking a few more minutes, they hung up and Elaine went back to her coffee.

She found the story on page four of the paper.

"Man dies in hospital after tragic accident."

The article went on to say: "Robert Miller of Magnolia Avenue, died yesterday in the hospital from complications received from an accident at his home. Sources say that he was working on his car in the driveway there, when the automobile fell on him. It is thought the car jack failed. His injuries were severe and included a fractured skull among numerous other broken bones, along with internal injuries. He leaves behind a wife and two children."

Two children. How awful, Elaine thought.

She and Steve had seen Paula and her husband at the club, had even been introduced - but they did not know them well. The Millers had arrived in town two or three years before and they seemed like a nice enough couple.

But, well - the truth was, Paula was a very pretty woman that seemed to attract men like flies. If Elaine were honest with herself, she would admit that even if she were not just a tad jealous, she saw no reason to pursue a relationship that would put her husband in close proximity of such pulchritude.

Shame on you, she said to herself and went back to the hummingbirds and her coffee. She turned to the back page of the paper for the crossword and the phone rang again.

Wondering at the sudden profusion of morning calls she picked up the receiver. This time is was her Mother.

"Hi Mom. Fine - you okay? Uh, huh. How about Friday night? No, Steve's been working late all month, but we'll try for seven - all right? Great, call you tomorrow. Bye, Mom."

(To be continued).