Chapter Fourteen - Part 1

Chapter  Fourteen     

Part 1                

by sloanranger

A few hours later a shuttle let them off in front of a building that wasn't that new, but well maintained. When they entered the time-share condo that belonged to Steve's boss Elaine noted that it was tastefully, if monotonously furnished.

"Lots of gray and beige," she said. "Well - at least it looks comfortable."

"The fireplace is nice," Steve smiled.

The couple was too tired after the flight to make a big night of it but when Steve suggested a light dinner and nightcap after they showered, Elaine was game.

A taxi-driver recommended a small club not far from the condo. When they arrived they took seats at the bar.  And they were chairs, not stools. The floor the bartender walked on was set well below the the other side of the bar, leaving the seats and bar itself at a table-like level.

The lounge had a definite island theme: a lot of Tiki masks, carved totems and potted banana trees. There was no aspiration towards anything upscale but the small piano bar in the corner had a good singer who was doing a nice rendition of a Billy Joel medley.

The taxi-driver had said that the food was simple but excellent and he was probably right because the place was packed. Waiting for a table, Elaine ordered gin and seven with lime and the bartender brought Steve a martini.

"I know this is going to be an early evening if you're drinking martinis," Elaine remarked.

"Um," Steve answered agreeably. He took in the sight of the woman he called his wife sitting beside him. As usual, he couldn't take his eyes off her and he noted he wasn't the only man in the room with the same affliction.

The man at the piano began, I've Got You Under My Skin, and Steve began singing along playfully, crooning the words.

"Stop it, silly," Elaine said, smiling, but she loved it

(To be continued).