Chapter Thirteen - Part 2

Chapter Thirteen

by sloanranger

Part 2

The steward was miming what to do in case the occupants of the plane somehow survived a crash.

Steve was still buckling up and listening to the pilot going through the announcements while Elaine tried to engage her husband in conversation as the engines revved up before take-off. She would be all right once the plane was airborne but until then she needed serious distraction.

In the flight attendant cubical, Janet nudged her co-worker. "Looks like number 39 has white knuckles."

She indicated the attractive redhead sitting on the aisle. Gloria grabbed two bags of Macadamias and approached the couple.

"Nut's, Mrs May?"

Elaine looked up at the girl. "Only during a full moon," she said.

"Oh, I just meant...." Caught off guard, the flight attendant was flustered. She recovered quickly, smiling, "I thought maybe you'd like some Macadamias."

"We're fine, thank you." Steve was polite but dismissive and the girl left. When she was out of earshot, he said: "She was just trying to help."

"Yes, it's just the take-off, Steve."

"I know, Honey, I know." He took her palm in his hand, squeezed it a little and kissed it.

"Come here," he continued, and leaned in and kissed her nose.

The engines roared and the plane gave a lurch as it lifted it up and another lurch hit Elaine's stomach. She felt her finger-tips being kissed and the plane level off at the same time before she was able to open her eyes.

"You really are an artist." She said.

"You better believe it," he answered. "My subject has a lot to do with it."

"Yeah," Elaine smiled. "Can we have a drink yet?"

(To be continued).