Chapter Ten - Part 4

Chapter Ten          

by sloanranger

Part 4

Elaine had mixed feelings but despite her guilt she headed for the library. More than curiosity now, she was concerned for her friend.

The librarian helped her thread the micro-phish through the sprockets and left her to her own devices. She began searching.

After clicking on Huntsville High Schools, she keyed in the name Eizabeth Fey and the year 1997. Nothing. She tried middle schools then, a few years earlier. A name came up - on the first middle school.

There, listed beneath a picture of the graduating class of 1994, at Lyndon B. Johnson Middle School, she found the name, Eizabeth Fey. In the third row there was a grainy black and white picture of a little girl with Cassie's eyes and facial structure.

It was picture was of a sad-looking child wearing a brave smile.  The hair was dark instead of ash blonde and the nose was different, but she could have easily changed her nose and hair, Elaine thought - but why?

Now she thought of it, Elaine had brought up her own family a few times, but she could not remember Cassie ever mentioning her parents – not once.

And why had she changed her name? Illegitimate? Surely that didn't matter nowadays, but maybe in  a  small, rural Texas town twenty years ago, it did.

She had obviously taken her mother's first name. Where did she come up with Cassie, more importantly, why?  It was all very confusing... and intriguing. Elaine printed out the information and turned off the computer.

(To be continued).