Chapter Nineteen - Part 3

Chapter  Nineteen               

by sloanranger

Part 3

Tom drove the speed limit and did not get on the freeway. He took El Toro Road and turned off on Fern. After three or four blocks he took a left onto Diego Drive.

About halfway down a block of recently developed California Mc-Mansions, he pulled into a driveway behind the car she had seen him with earlier.

Elaine cruised by the house but did not slow down, Tom knew her car too well and would spot it. At the end of the long street, she made a cautious u-turn and parked two doors down on the other side of the road.

Tom had already entered so she was unable to see who had answered the door.

Elaine sat back and settled in for a long wait if necessary.  She opened a book that the librarian had recommended: 'Thale's Folly,' by Dorothy Gilman. The librarian knew Elaine to be primarily a mystery reader and although Gilman wrote mostly mysteries, this one deviated a little.

"Thank you," Elaine had said. "I guess I'm not much of a serious reader."

"Oh, it's not so unusual. A lot of people stick to their 'tried and true.' It's my job to help them branch out - if they like, but I try not to go too far afield of what they're used to. And this isn't serious," she smiled.

"Well, thank you, Connie. It sounds good, I might just like it."

"I'm pretty sure you will," the librarian said in parting.

And Elaine was enjoying the story as she sat in the car waiting for Tom to exit the house. He'd been inside the woman's house for about forty-five minutes when he came to the door with a woman; they were saying goodbye.

When Tom left the entry way and walked to his car, Elaine could see the woman. 

It was Paula Miller.

If she were the type, Elaine would have gasped, but this redhead was made of sterner stuff. She had a dozen questions and searched her mind for a reason to knock on Paula's door - any reason.

She could think of nothing that would not arouse suspicion. After Tom's car was no longer in sight and Paula's door was closed Elaine started her car and drove home – thinking.

That afternoon she called Cass. "Hi. Are you okay, Cassie?"

"I'm fine, Elaine."

"Good. In that case - do you still have the coupon for a free class at your Gym?

"Sure."

"So, would you mind if I join you tonight, Cass? We can work off some of our angst."

"No problem, Elaine."

"Are you still mad at me, Cassie?"

"I said I'm okay, Elaine."

(To be continued).