Chapter Thirty Four - Part 1

Chapter Thirty Four                  

by sloanranger

Part 1

When they got back home Peggy's car was in their driveway and she was waiting at the front door  to greet them.

She had aired out the house and brought them a chicken casserole and an applesauce cake for dinner.

She was almost done mixing a green salad and everyone was setting down when Elaine told her: "Mom, We've got some good news."

Peggy stopped her mixing, salad fork and spoon in mid-air.

"Oh, Elaine – tell me quick."

"The doctors say we can have a baby."

"But Darling, that's wonderful, "her mother said.

"Will there be more tests and things? How long do they think before you'll be ready?"

Elaine was so excited, she could barely contain herself, but she said: "Not long, Mom; in fact pretty soon."

"Well, what did they say, Honey?" Peggy said impatiently. "How long?"

"About seven months."

Peggy didn't need to be told anything more, by the big grin on her daughter and son-in-law's faces.

"You're pregnant!!"

Suddenly Elaine was nodding and grinning tearfully and Peggy was out of her chair kissing her daughter, then kissing Steve until finally Steve told the women to calm down. There was seven more months for this nonsense, no need to waste all in one night. Besides, he hadn't eaten yet.

"But I'm going to be a grandma," she said. And she would keep saying it to almost anyone that would listen to her in the next few weeks.

Peggy found yarn in Elaine's closet she had bought years ago and promptly began knitting a yellow baby blanket. Looking up every so often and affirming aloud: "I'm going to be a Grandma!"

The next day, Elaine purchased more yarn. Peggy taught her how to crochet 'granny squares,' small squares which you eventually sewed together. Mother and daughter began crocheting baby blankets in earnest.

Peggy bought an entire layette and even though it wasn't politically correct, within a month - she gave her own daughter a baby shower.

(To be continued).