Chapter Eighteen - Part 3

Chapter  Eighteen        

Part  3

by sloanranger

Steve knew something was wrong that night when he came home.

Elaine was muttering to herself and being very loud with inanimate objects around the house: slamming pots and pans down on the stove while she was preparing dinner and while drying them, throwing knives and forks in the silverware drawer as loudly as she could. When she joined him in front of the TV she picked up the sofa pillows and began  punching and fluffing them with incredible vigor.

"You going to tell me what's wrong?" He inquired patiently.

"Nothing," Elaine said.

"Come on, spill it, Honey. What is it?"

"It's Cassie!" Elaine turned at last to her husband. "All this time we've been friends, she never told me that she's known Paula since they were kids."

"Really?" Steve, who was generally unflappable, was caught off guard. "Did she tell you that herself?"

"I found their pictures in a school photo online and Cass confirmed it."

Steve said. "I guess that would be news. Wow."

"Steve, I thought Cassie and I were close and she as much as lied to me about it."

"I warned you, everyone has things they may not want known or want to talk about. I hate to say it, but it's what you get for being nosy."

"Oh fine, take her side, "Elaine said, irritated. But when he held out both arms she sat down and snuggled up beneath one of them. "You're a great help," she grumbled, pouting.

(To be continued ).