Chapter Thirty One - Part 3

Chapter Thirty One                       

by sloanranger

Part 3

Suddenly, out of nowhere, as if talking to herself, Paula blurted out:

"Do you think it was an accident – with Bob, I mean?"  

"Sorry?" Elaine's head jerked up.

"I just meant that well, if she killed the other two, maybe...."

Elaine tried to steady herself, tried to wrap her mind around what Paula was talking about but all she could do was stare blankly at her.

"You think she killed Bob, too?" Elaine said.

"I don't know," Paula said. "I guess the car fell on him." Paula was fidgeting with her hands again. "

"She did have the opportunity, you know - working in the hospital and all." Paula continued, as if reaching for an excuse to blame her sister.

Elaine thought she sounded confused.

"You're overwrought, Paula. It's a lot to take in, a lot to have lived with all this time, by yourself."

Elaine reached over for Paula's hand to console her. Suddenly another wave of dizziness washed over her and she struggled to remain conscious. Paula was smiling broadly now.

"The last one," she grinned, repeating the earlier statement almost to herself now.

"Can you imagine - the idiot lets a car fall on himself?"

Then she looked at Elaine with a small smile and asked pointedly: "How do you feel, Elaine?"  

Elaine must have known it for some time but it had not registered.

Awareness hit her now, though.  And hard - the tea was drugged.

Elaine realized suddenly, that all of the going on Paula had been doing about husbands, had been to distract her until the tea took effect.

(To be continued).