Chapter Twenty Three - Part 1

by sloanranger

Part 1

It was a beautiful Indian summer day and Cassie led Elaine to the patio after she answered her doorbeell. Her friend was exhausted, having had trouble sleeping for the past few weeks. But Elaine sat down and did not waste any time in explaining she had visited Paula.

"So you met the femme fatale," Cassie said. "You two must have gotten real chummy at the pool last week."

"Cass," she said steadily, trying to keep herself calm. "You know how I feel about you. Paula or no one else is going to change that. I just really wish you'd fill me in, kid," she said. "Maybe I can help."

Cassie was quiet for a long time.

"She told me a lot of stuff, Cass."

"You would have figured out everything anyway, once you started prying." Cassie sounded resigned.

"Figured what out?" Elaine wanted to hear her friend's version of what Paula had said.

"You know, Elaine, I really wish you hadn't pried so much." Cassie turned her gaze and looked directly at her friend. That's always been a bad habit of yours Elaine, prying. You're rather nosy, you know."

Elaine tried to laugh it off, but her friend was acting strange. "Figured out what, Cass?"

(To be continued).