Chapter Two - Part 1

Arachnia               

by  sloanranger

Chapter Two  -   Part 1

Elaine loved her Mother, but their relationship could be frustrating. Her mother probably thought of her as the difficult one, she mused. And between two redheads, it was probably a tossup.

Dinner would be delicious, though. Her Mom was a great cook and she was going to make aubergine (eggplant), parmesan. 

She finished her coffee, got up and went about the house and gave it a quick once over - a lick and a promise - her mother would say. She accompanied herself, singing 'It Had To Be You,' soon followed by 'Baby, You Can Drive My Car.'

Elaine was one of a dying breed - a stay at home wife, a real honest to goodness throwback - a homemaker. She enjoyed her home and liked seeing it clean. She loved cooking and decorating and moving things around, and she was fortunate that her husband Steve, had a good job at an upscale advertising agency and could afford her this luxury.

She had amassed enough units in the local College for an Associate's degree but not enough to specialize in anything. She thought about finishing her education and she took courses from time to time, but the courses were usually about fun things she wanted to learn. She'd taken courses in Spanish, flower arranging, creative writing - even a French course.

Elaine always figured that when the kids started coming she would have no time for herself.

She and Steve had been married for almost twelve years now and no babies had come yet. They had taken all of the required medical tests and neither of them had been found wanting - it just hadn't happened for them.

They had not given up but recently the couple had been talking about adoption.

I am not going to think about that today she told herself, Scarlet-like. Today, I am going to yoga class and stretch everything on my body that moves.

After that she had a date with Cassie.

Cassie and Elaine had become fast friends almost as soon as she and Tommy moved into the neighborhood. On the surface, they didn't seem to have much in common. Cassie was a working Mom, a registered nurse  - and Elaine of course, was the stay at home wife.

Elaine was a good cook. She dabbled in all kinds of hobbies: gardened and even painted a bit. Cassie had a hard time boiling water – and her coffee was living proof of that.

(To be continued).