Chapter Eleven - Part 1

Chapter Eleven                            

by sloanranger

Part  1

Cassie opened her door the next morning and found her friend on the front porch.
"Come on in, she said, "I just made iced tea."  Oh great, Elaine thought. As a homemaker, Cassie was a very good nurse.

She followed Cass through the hall into the living room. Cassie's furniture may have been acceptable in the seventies, Elaine thought; the burnt orange and avocado colors were popular then. But only if the furniture was in the lobby of some non-descript hotel.

For as long as she had known Cassie however, Elaine had not said one disparaging word about her decor – nor would she ever.

She was not as mute about Cassie's coffee and if there was anything worse than Cass's taste in furniture, it was her inability to make decent coffee or tea.

Elaine and Steve had had dinner with the couple more than a few times. They only accepted invitations now, for barbecues by the pool with Tommy doing the chef honors. 

Cassie was just not a homebody. It was only logical, she really didn't have time; she was a full-time working wife and mother.

Besides Tom, there was Billy. Billy was her eleven-year-old son, and the love of Cass's life. She  hovered over the kid - to the point of silliness. After dwelling on her mother's remark a few weeks ago, Elaine had decided her Mom was right.

 They sat in the lawn chairs drinking iced tea sweetened with artificial sweeter. Elaine did not care for it but Cass had pre-sweetened it.

I don't know why you feel you have to moniter him, Cass, he swims better than you do.

"He's the only kid I've got, Elaine. Besides, it's getting cooler and with school and all there won't be many more days in the pool."

"I hope when Steve and I have one you and Billy will teach them to swim, as well." Elaine said.

"Sure," Cass said a little distracted, and looked away.

(To be continued).