Chapter Nineteen - Part 1

Chapter Nineteen

Part 1

by sloanranger

Returning her overdue library books the next day, Elaine decided to make a short run to Laguna Beach. An art gallery she liked that just off of the South Coast Highway had advertised a sale. After feeding the meter, she was heading into the gallery when she thought she saw Tom Rettig, Cass's husband.

Elaine was some distance away and Tom was leaning against the open window of a car talking to someone inside. When the car pulled away it seemed vaguely familiar. The trim, blond man stepped back and Elaine waved. He must not have seen her because he began to cross the street. Then Elaine called out:             

"Tom." He stopped, turned, and looked around warily. When she called his name again, his head nodded in recognition and came toward her.

Getting closer, he smiled. "Elaine. How are you?"

"Fine, Tommy. What brings you to this part of town?

"I have a client interested in a property," he said easily. That explains the car, Elaine thought.

"Business or residential?" She continued. Tom was a real estate broker who had begun his career in residential sales. But for the past couple of years he had been branching out, specializing more in commercial properties.

"Apartment complex," he smiled. "Little of both." He wasn't as good looking as Steve, Elaine thought, loyally. He was tall and lean with hair, lighter even, than Cass's. But he had blue eyes and a crooked little smile that some women would find endearing, she supposed.

"Well, great," Elaine said. "I wish you luck. How's Cass?"

(To be continued) 

Arachnia   #Featuredजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें