Chapter Thirty

Chapter Thirty One                     

by sloanranger  

Part 1

She couldn't put it off any longer. Cass had been hospitalized for almost two months. And something would not stop nagging at the back of Elaine's mind.

I can't go another weekend, she thought. 

The Friday after Elaine saw Tom at the supermarket she decided to pay another visit to the widow Miller.

Elaine had left Paula's house on her previous trip without leaving her the copies of the gym contracts, which had been the reason for her original visit.

It was a perfect excuse now, to see if she could stop by again.

Paula's voice sounded a little stressed when Elaine called but she said, yes.

Later that afternoon while Elaine parked her car at the curb in front of Paula's house she saw Marie buckling the twins into the backseat of a Honda. As Elaine was getting out of the car, Marie backed her Honda from the driveway and waved. Elaine smiled and waved back.

Paula was waiting at the door.

Seated once again in the pleasant living room, Elaine handed copies of the contract and waiver from the health club to Paula. "I'm sorry I forgot them last time."

"No problem Elaine," Paula said, laying the papers on a side table. "I'll get these back to you."

"Fine," Elaine said and stood as though to leave.

"Don't go, yet," Paula said. "Have some tea. I rarely get time off without the twins to have company."

"Oh, fine," Elaine said, sitting back down. "Where was Marie taking them?"

"Just to the park for a while, they love it." She called from the kitchen.

(To be continued).