Chapter Twenty NIne

Chapter Twenty Nine                       

by sloanranger

The nights had been unseasonably cold lately making for wonderful sleep, but it was a lovely day - warm, yet with a crisp wind and Elaine had stopped at the local Albertson's Supermarket. 

She was in produce, searching for spinach when she saw Tom down by the strawberries. She felt awkward about talking to her friend's husband even though she wanted to ask him about Cassie.  She pondered whether to say hello or not.

While she was making up her mind, Elaine saw Marie, Paula's friend come out of the juice section and walk up to Tom.

"You've got some nerve," she heard Marie say, rather loudly.

It was all Elaine was able to hear. Marie lowered her voice and leaned her head in towards Tom. Whatever she was talking about though, was not friendly. The woman appeared to be very angry. It was so unlike  what she knew about the woman, it startled Elaine. After a couple of minutes Marie turned and walked away.

Elaine just stood there and before she could leave herself, Tom noticed her.

Rather sheepishly, he walked up to her.

"What was that all about?" Elaine said.

"She thinks I should get off the fence."

"Well, Tom, she does have a point. Are you interested in Paula?"

"It's complicated, Elaine."

"Yes," she said, sarcastically, "it usually is."

"Look," he said. "Custody of our son is on the line. Do you understand, Elaine? I want my wife to get better and come home but until she does, Paula stands a good chance of taking Billy."

Elaine was thoughtful. "And you can't let that happen."

"No." Tom said. "Losing me would be one thing, losing Billy would kill her."

Elaine studied the strawberries for a moment. "I know," she whispered.

(To be continued).