Chapter Twenty One - Part 4

Chapter Twenty One                

by sloanranger

Part 4

She looked at the other pictures now: a picture of the woman in the newspaper obituary for Cassie's mother and namesake, Elizabeth Fey. There was no mistake. It was the same photograph Elaine had seen on the computer.

And there it was: A snapshot of what must have been Cassie - Elizabeth - at around seven years old, her small face staring up at Elaine from within the picture frame.

She returned quickly to her chair just before Paula came in with the tea.

Paula came back into the room carrying a tray with tea things on it, smiling and sat the tray down on the oversized ottoman. As she leaned over offering Elaine the cup and saucer, a tiny cross swung merrily from a gold chain around her neck.

"Cream or sugar?" Paula said.

"Both," Elaine commented. "What a lovely cross," she added.

Paula smiled, "Keeps the vampires away."

She really was an attractive woman, Elaine thought. She has a great smile, and those eyes – but there was something off ....

"Paula what's going on?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, what's the deal between you and Cassie?"

"You must have found the photos, " she said.

"On the mantle," Elaine said. "Yes."

"Nothing's going on that hasn't been going on all our lives." Paula said, handing Elaine her tea.

Elaine kept quiet.

Paula sipped her tea and fingered the cross around her neck.

"We're sisters," she said.

(To be continued).