Chapter Thirty Two - Part 2

Chapter Thirty Two    

by sloanranger

Part 2

"The water's very warm, Elaine. I've read that the best way is to quit struggling," Paula said in a matter-of-fact voice. "It's supposed to be rather painless once you relax into it."

Elaine was crying now, splashing and somehow managing to kick her benumbed legs. But she was no match for Paula, who still methodically unpeeled each finger as she grabbed hold of the concrete edge.

Elaine kept sinking, somehow re-surfacing and then reaching for the side - and each time, Paula pushed her away.

And every time she went under it became harder to come up. She was swallowing water now and she was exhausted. Maybe Paula was right....

"Mrs. Miller!"

He did not know what was going on. The boy could only see the back of the lady that said she was his mother, as she knelt over the edge of the pool. But Billy could hear someone struggling. He came racing from the French doors and dove straight into the pool before he even knew what was happening.

Within seconds, Billy was grabbing hold of Mrs. May by the back of her shirt  and dragging her to the side.

He was more than a little surprised to see his mother's friend in the water.

"What happened? He sputtered, as he brought Elaine to the side of the pool.

"She fell in," Paula said.

"Grab her arm," the boy directed Paula.

"Hold onto the side, Mrs. May," the boy said, hoisting himself up. Without much help from Paula, Billy pulled Elaine from the water and rolled her onto her side. She lay there for a moment gasping and breathing hard.

Soon though, she burbled out most of the water she had swallowed.

Billy was looking strangely at Paula. Then he turned to Elaine.

He said simply:  "Mrs.  May, why do you keep falling into the pool?"  

Elaine smiled wryly at this but when Paula said: "Go and get Mrs. May some towels, Billy,"

Elaine screamed. "No! Call 911, Billy! Use my cell phone, it's in my purse."

(To be continued).