Chapter Thirty Two - Part 1

Chapter Thirty Two                  

by sloanranger

Part 1

Elaine's eyes widened accusingly. She tried to stand, holding on to the chair arms but she couldn't.

This seemed so familiar – déjà vu, she thought.

But it was very, very different from the time at Cass's pool.

Paula, you don't want to do this," Elaine said. Her legs were becoming numb and buckling and she fell back into the lawn chair.

"I'm afraid it's too late, Elaine," Paula said.

Elaine struggled to rise again, grasping the patio table. The table was scarcely three feet from the pool, and it was too light to support her unbalanced weight. Both she and the table tumbled down together as Paula stepped back from the accident. Elaine found herself prone and parallel to the edge of the pool.

Paula came over then and began to roll Elaine's body towards the water. "I am sorry, Elaine," she said. "But I really have no choice."

For the first time Elaine felt real terror. Adding to a lifelong fear of water and death by drowning she knew  she had been wrong about Cassie. There was no doubt at this moment as to who was the unbalanced sister. And what's more Elaine was certain now, that Paula had murdered twice before.

"Paula, please don't."

Elaine's head was hanging over the side looking down at nine feet of sparkling, blue-green water. Her entire body was becoming numb and she could barely feel anything.  But she heard the sound of splashing when Paula rolled her over the edge and her body hit the water. Even her terror seemed to be in going in slow motion and that made it so much worse.

Elaine kicked her numbed legs and reached for the side of the pool. She was able to grab the edge with unfeeling hands but not for long - Paula was carefully removing each finger from it's hold on the concrete rim of the pool.

(To be continued).