Chapter Eleven - Part 2

Chapter  Eleven       

by sloanrange

Part 2

"Cassie, I found this on Paula." She handed her the print-outs.

"Where did you get these?" Cass asked.

"Online."

"I thought we weren't going to do this, Elaine?"

"I was right across the street from City Hall and couldn't resist."

She reached back into her bag.  "I found these too, Cass," she said, handing her the copies of the little girl that looked like her friend. "Is it you, Cassie?"

Cassie scanned the copies.  She stood, turned around and crunched them into a ball. Elaine got up and walked over to her, putting her hands on her friend's shoulders. She took the ball of papers from Cassie's hand.

"Do you want to talk about it, Cass?"

"Elaine, why did you have to be such a busy body?" Cassie's eyes became red, as though she were about to cry, but she looked over at Billy and thought better of it.

"How come you never told me Cass? What's the big deal?"

"I was embarrassed, Elaine. Haven't you ever been ashamed of anything?"

"Of course, lots of things. Cassie look - it's nothing, really. Come on," she said, trying to make her laugh. "Was your nose that bad?"

Cassie sniffled and gave a little laugh. "Yes."

Elaine smiled. "Well, it looks great now, kid."

She took her friend back to the patio table and sat her down in the chair.

"Come on, let's have some more of that crummy iced tea you made."

(To be continued).