Chapter Twenty One - Part 1

Chapter Twenty One

by sloanranger

Part 1

She knocked at the front door of Paula's house. A typical southwestern, stucco structure, it was one of the new mini-mansions currently proliferating in the southern California sun. Elaine had lived in the southwest for years and still not overcome her dislike of stucco.

But inside, the house was nice.

"Please, come in, " Paula invited and Elaine was pleasantly surprised.

The door opened onto a quietly tasteful foyer. The foyer led to a large living room which had a 'cathedral' ceiling, standard for the Mc Mansion breed. But the rest of the room was not standard at all. It had been beautifully appointed.

Two walls were painted a deep teal color and another had coordinated wallpaper.

An Eame's chair sat next to the French doors, and next to the Eame's, was a Turkish brazier. The brazier was made of copper and polished to an incredible brightness, it sparkled even in the light of late afternoon sun. Above the mantle of the used brick fireplace, hung a gilt framed mirror The mirror reflected dozens of photographs below it which were sitting on top of the mantle in smaller gold frames.

"This is nice," said Elaine, looking at what appeared to be a small area to their left. More like an alcove than a room, it was evidently used for an office. Elaine could see an antique, roll-topped desk made of oak, sitting on what looked like a mid-eastern rug. The wall behind the desk had floor to ceiling bookshelves filled with, surprise - books; mostly books, that is.

Aren't we literate, Elaine muttered to herself.

(To be continued).