Chapter Twelve - Part 3

"What brings you to my neck of the woods?" Paula said.

"Oh, you live near here?" replied Elaine.

"Yes, not too far."

"Lucky you, get to visit all the galleries. How are you doing, Paula? I'm so sorry for your loss."

"Oh, you know - good days, bad days. But, thank you, Elaine. I saw Steve's name and yours, on the flowers the club sent."

Elaine smiled and shrugged an, 'It-was-nothing,' gesture.

The server appeared. Elaine had intended to order tea, but the restaurant carried Columbian coffee. She ordered a cup and a slice of spinach quiche. It may have been her imagination, but it seemed as though Paula was glancing past her, over her shoulder while she was ordering.

She turned around herself. "See someone you know?"

"Oh, no. I thought so but it wasn't her." Paula replied.

The quiche and coffee were very good, but their chat was short.

"Please forgive me, Elaine," Paula said as she stood an gathered her purse. "I've got to get home and relieve the babysitter."

"Oh, no problem, Elaine smiled. "Nice seeing you."

Elaine was left with the distinct feeling that Paula had invited her to sit down in order to a keep her busy and - to keep her back to the window. She'd had the  thought there was someone Paula hadn't wanted her to see, or possibly a car she would have recognized.

(To be continued).