Chapter Thirty Five

Chapter Thirty Five                 

by sloanranger

For all you (us) yanks (Americans), out there, I'm reminded that the UK & Europe has a much prettier name for eggplant - aubergine.  Pronounced - aww- bear-- zheen).

So I've added it wherever the word eggplant appears so we will all know what we're are talking about :))

RECIPES

Peggy's Recipe For Aubergine/Eggplant Parmesan

Pre-heat oven to moderate   325 - 350 degrees. 

Assemble all ingredients:

2 medium-sized aubergines/eggplants - washed

2 eggs, beaten with small amount of skim, almond or soy milk, added

olive oil or cooking spray

1 & one half to 2 cups of bread crumbs, (you may make your own with - wheat germ, left-over cereal. cornmeal, cracker-crumbs),  etc. (or use store bought).

Seasonings for crumb mixture - Italian seasonings, celery salt & white pepper to taste.

About ¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese.

About half to one cup of grated, or sliced very thin - mozzarella cheese.

Dried or fresh oregano

Slice aubergine/eggplant into 1 inch slices.

Peel skin from the slices.

Rinse and pat the aubergine/eggplant slices dry.

Dip each slice into beaten egg and milk mixture, then roll them into the bread crumb mixture.        

Brown the slices lightly in a skillet with hot olive oil.

If you'd rather bake the slices: brush or wipe slices with small amount of olive oil or cooking spray, instead of using the egg/milk mixture.

Roll slices in the crumb mixture.

Spray or oil lightly a cooking sheet or casserole dish and lay slices of aubergine/eggplant on a flat surface.

Bake slices for about 15 to 20 minutes on each side (depending on oven) at 350 degrees.

Slices should be golden brown whether sautéed in skillet or baked.

Remove from skillet or oven

Top slices with grated Parmesan cheese and a very small amount of grated mozzarella. Other white cheeses can be used in place of the mozzarella in a pinch, but you should have some parmesan, since this is the name of the dish : )

Sprinkle oregano on top and place the aubergine/eggplant back into oven just long enough for the cheeses to melt and for them to become golden.

When done, remove from oven and put the slices on a plate.

Surround the slices with any good spaghetti or marinara sauce placed prettily around the edges of the aubergine/eggplant. Serve with whole grain pasta and a mixed green salad &/or other fresh vegetables. 

Chicken Parmesan – is made the same way, only use chicken breasts instead of aubergine/eggplant slices.

PEGGY'S RECIPE FOR SHORTCUT SPUMONI

Assemble all ingredients: 

Neapolitan ice cream

Citron or other dried fruit

Pistachio nuts

Anisette or other licorice flavored liqueur

Allow Neopolitan (or other kind) ice cream to soften

Add citron and chopped pistachio nuts.

Splash a little (or more :)) anisette - or any - licorice flavored liqueur - into the ice cream.

Blend/stir well, citron, nuts, liqueur and ice cream together.

Put softened ice cream mixture into custard cups or mold(s) and allow it to refreeze. You may want to spray cups or molds with cooking spray before filling and freezing.

When ready to serve, after cream is frozen solid, run hot water quickly over the outside of containers to remove easily. You can also serve the spumoni as is, in the cups. Top with extra nuts, fruit.

This dessert can be made well ahead of time and if covered, will keep for some time in the freezer.

You can also vary the dessert by adding other dried fruits instead of citron such as: raisins, cranberries, etc., and/or other nuts; as well as alternate flavored liqueurs. You can also experiment with different flavors of the ice cream.

Elaine's Four-Flour Baking Powder Biscuit Recipe

Assemble all ingredients:

2 cups of flour  (1 and 1/4 cup whole wheat flour; 1/4 cup rye flour, ¼ cup of soy flour & ¼ cup of unbleached white).

(You may also use 3/4 c. brown rice flour, 3/4 c. ww. flour. 1/4 c. rye flour & 1/4 c. soy flour)

1/3 cup of olive or safflower, or other good oil

2 and1/2 teaspoons baking powder

¾ teaspoon & 1 dash of salt

¾ cup of milk (skim, almond ok, too)

Pre-heat oven to 425 - 450 degrees - please use common sense - if your oven runs hot, take it down a few degrees. Not so much - then go the other way & make it a degree or 2 higher.  Alternately, you can just leave the biscuits in a little longer or less so.

Basically, use the golden rule - they should be looking slightly golden on top when they're done.

Blend dry ingredients – all flours, baking powder & salt.

Add oil and blend till dough is crumbly

Add milk & mix – if dough is sticky add more flour; too dry, more milk

Shape into ball and knead 10 times.  Sprinkle flour on board  and  flatten ball .

Cut with 2 inch cookie cutter or small glass.

Place pieces on ungreased baking sheet.

As with most breads, let them sit for 20 minutes before baking and they will likely rise higher during baking.

Put in oven and bake for 9-12 minutes. Watch carefully - bottoms can over-cook waiting for tops to become golden brown.

Again, use the golden rule - they should be looking slightly golden on top when they're done.

Remove immediately from pan after taking from the oven.

You can vary recipe by adding grated cheeses, different herbs, etc.

Or substitute yogurt for the milk and snip in a tablespoon & ½ of chives –

But the original, 4 flour-recipe biscuits will melt in your mouth - just as they are.