Chapter Twenty Four - Part 1

Chapter Twenty Four           

by sloanranger     

Part 1

Elaine called Steve on her mobile phone.

Tom told the drivers  he would follow shortly but would wait for Elaine's husband, Steve, to get there. 

He brought a robe of Cass's from the house for Elaine to wear in the meantime.

"Are you all right now, Elaine?" He said.

"Tom, I don't know how to say this, but she almost drowned me."

Tom gave her an incredulous look. "What?" 

"I think she might have killed me if you hadn't come home."

"You can't mean that Elaine. You're just in shock."

Elaine shook her head. "I don't know what I believe anymore, Tom," she said.  

 Steve arrived just then, and Tom answered the door. When he came back out on the patio with Steve he said:

"Look, Elaine, I know a lot's happened, but can we talk later? I have to meet Dr. Ellerman at the hospital."

"Of course," Elaine said, tiredly.

Steve said nothing as he did not know what was going on as yet.

After they returned home it was Elaine that lost it though and Steve had a difficult time calming her down.

When Steve called the Rettig's house later in the evening, he couldn't understand it himself. But he would have to stand by his wife's opinion that Cassie was experiencing some kind of breakdown and might have hurt Elaine, had Tom not shown up when he did.

(To be continued).