Chapter Seven - Part 3

Chapter Seven

by sloanranger       

Part 3

"Yep. Her first died, too. "

"You've got to be kidding." She asked, still pretending ignorance.

"Nope. Heart attack. Hit her pretty hard, I'll tell you."

"Wow. I'll bet. You knew her then, too?"

"Yeah, we go way back. Paula and I met in business school, in Texas. We were both right out of high school."

Cassie seemed to be a little distracted at that. "Did you go to high school together?" She asked pointedly.

"Oh, no," Marie said. "I didn't mean we went to the same high-school. We went to different high-schools. It was the year after we'd both finished. I graduated from Trinity High School. I think Paula is from Walker County, it's the next county over from Trinity.

"Oh," Cassie said. "Is that so?"  

At the end of the second hour the instructor, Pat, finished up with the cool down exercises and said she hoped to see everyone next time. Marie and Cassie continued their conversation in the locker room.

"I'll tell Paula you were asking about her. She has this idea that none of the women at the club like her. But you two know each other, right?"

"Not really. We've seen each other around, usually at the club. I can't say that we've actually met. I didn't really think she had any women friends besides you."

"It's because she's so damn cute," Maria replied."All the guys go for her and that puts the women off. But hey, she can't help it if she's gorgeous."

"I guess not," Cassie said, without much conviction.

(To be continued).