Chapter Thirty Three - Part 3

Chapter Thirty Three           

by sloanranger

Part 3

The only difficulty it turned out, was that Elaine became car sick.

She couldn't remember this being a problem before but then she hadn't really taken a lengthy trip in a car since she was a girl. Steve was gallant about it and let her out of her turns at the wheel. This lengthened their time on the road by a couple of days but they arrived finally, rested and in fine form.

An appointment was made for Elaine with a doctor said to be the foremost gynecologist and specialist in hormone therapy in the southwest. Dr. Wikkering had so many degrees and credentials on his office walls that Steve joked about it.

Elaine had brought copies of her medical records from her own doctor, but Wikkering insisted on giving her a full work up of lab tests and an examination himself. He met with Steve and Elaine in his office the next day after the results.

"Well, you'll be happy to know I'm almost certain that I know what your problem is and I think I can safely say and it's quite treatable."

Elaine's eyes widened and she looked at her husband. "Really, Doctor Wikkering? So quickly?"

"I have to do a few more tests, of course, but yes - so quickly. Mr. and Mrs. May, you are going to have a baby."

Elaine's eyes widened again and Steve took her hand. "What do you mean?"

"I'm sorry," the physician said. "I thought I was perfectly plain."

"You really think it's possible." Elaine said?

"It has gone beyond the realm of possibility, Mrs. May. It is an absolute certainty – you're pregnant. I should say about two months along, now."

Elaine was speechless, her eyes began filling. Steve was grinning.

"Honey, don't," he said. "It's a happy thing, remember?"  He handed her his handkerchief.

"Oh, you," she said, sniffling.

When they got back and told the Donne's, their hosts were very happy. "Well I've heard of some fantastic results with this therapy but you guys take the cake."

Ted and Millie understood when their guests decided to go back home, but insisted on taking them out to a celebratory dinner before they left. They would have a better start with a good nights rest.

They went to a little French bistro called Chez Miche owned by a pretty young French Canadian woman. The girls had Coquilles St. Jacque, large scallops cooked in a butter and white wine sauce. Steve had the steak with the creamed peppercorn sauce on top and Ted opted for Beef Burgundy. Everyone had sugar pie for dessert and the entire meal was superb.

They began their journey home early but not too, sleeping till nine o'clock and eating Millie's Eggs Benedict for breakfast. She served Elaine's cherished Colombian coffee, so it was a grand send-off.

Pulling out of the Donne's driveway a little after 11AM, they were feeling that life was very good. "Oh, Steve, this trip has been the happiest in my life. I kind of hate for it to end."

"I'm glad you're so happy sweetheart, I am too."

(To be continued).