4. "I Can Treat You Better"

"I can't keep doing this anymore Y/n." Mike, my boyfriend of two years, said to me.

"What are you talking about?" I asked.

"You're too clingy and needy. I'm sick of it. We're done." Mike said, and with that, he left. I started to cry my heart out. I then did the only thing that I could think of doing. I called my best friend, singer and songwriter, Shawn Mendes. He's home from his festival run and he's always been there for me.

"Hey Y/n." Shawn said.

"Can you come over please?" I asked as I cried.

"What's wrong?" Shawn asked, and I could hear the sound of panic in his voice.

"I'll tell you in person. But can you please come over? I need someone to be with me right now." I asked and said.

"I'll be over in ten minutes, okay? Just hang in there." Shawn asked and said.

"Okay." I said as I cried. Ten minutes later, Shawn's jeep pulled into my driveway. Shawn didn't even knock, he just came rushing in. I rushed over to him and hugged him. He held me and rubbed my back.

"It's okay, it's all going to be okay." Shawn said, trying to soothe me.

"No it's not. It's not all going to be okay. I loved him and he broke up with me. I thought that he loved me too." I said. Shawn's jaw dropped.

"Mike broke up with you? Why?" Shawn asked.

"He said that I'm too clingy and needy. He used to say that he loved how clingy I was and that he was clingy too, even though he wasn't." I said, still crying. Shawn's hands balled into fists.

"You're not clingy, and you're not needy, and even if you are, so what?" Shawn asked. I shrugged.

"Apparently it was too much. I hate myself for this. I thought that he loved me." I said.

"Don't hate yourself Y/n. You're a beautiful girl that deserves the world. And you know what? I can give it to you. I can treat you better. Be with me Y/n Y/l/n. Be with me, be mine." Shawn said. I had stopped crying by now.

"What?" I asked.

"Be mine. I can treat you better than that scumbag ever could." Shawn said.

"But you're my best friend." I said.

"I know, and that's even more of a reason for us to date. We know each other so well that it's crazy. Was Mike your best friend?" Shawn said and asked.

"No." I said, looking down. Shawn put his finger underneath my chin and lightly lifted my head up. He leaned in and a part of me didn't want this but another part of me wanted it. I leaned in and our lips met. I felt my heart race as if I had just run a marathon, I felt sparks shootout like fireworks throughout my body, and I felt butterflies erupt and fly around in my stomach. Shawn and I pulled away.

"Sorry, I shouldn't have done that." Shawn said.

"No, that was... amazing. Shawn, that was the best kiss I've ever had." I said. Shawn shook his head.

"You're vulnerable right now and I just took advantage of you. I shouldn't have said all those things and I shouldn't have kissed you. I'll leave." Shawn said. I grabbed his big hand in my small one and felt electricity spark through me when we touched. I pulled him back and gently grabbed his face. I put my lips on his and felt the same feelings all over again. The sparks, the heart racing, the butterflies. All of it. I realized in that moment that I've been in love with Shawn without even realizing it.

"Shawn, I'm in love with you." I said when we pulled away. Shawn smiled at me.

"Are you sure? You and Mike just broke up." Shawn asked and said. I nodded.

"Positive. I think that it just took me a long time to realize it." I said. Shawn nodded.

"Y/n Y/l/n, will you be my girlfriend?" Shawn asked. I nodded my violently.

"Yes!" I exclaimed. Shawn smiled at me and we kissed. He ended up spending the night. He slept on the couch and I slept in my bed. I wasn't ready to sleep in the same bed as him yet. I'm so happy that Shawn is mine. I know he'll treat me better.