31. Nightmares

A/n: This imagine contains swear words!!

My boyfriend is the singer and songwriter Shawn Mendes, and he is currently on his festival run. I miss him so much. Whenever he's away, and something happens, I'll tell him some things that happen, but usually not everything because I don't want him to worry about me and whatever is going on. Lately I've been having nightmares every damn night, and quite honestly, I'm sick of it. I hate it. They're almost all the same. In all of them, Shawn and I get into a fight and he leaves me, which is my biggest fear.

I was sitting on the couch in the living room when I heard a car pull into the driveway. I hadn't gotten much sleep the night before, only a mere four hours, and the same for the night before that. Soon, the door swung open and Shawn walked in.

"SHAWN!" I yelled. I ran over to him and jumped into his arms, my legs wrapping around his waist.

"Hi honey. How have you been?" Shawn asked.

"Good. What are you doing home so early?" I asked Shawn.

"I thought that I'd surprise you. Are you surprised?" Shawn asked. I nodded against his shoulder.

"Very." I said, lifting my head up so I could get a better look at him. He frowned.

"Let's go take a nap, you look tired baby." Shawn said. Oh no.

"I'm fine. Let's sit on the couch and cuddle. I want to spend time with you." I said. Shawn shook his head as he set me down so my feet were touching the floor.

"How much sleep did you get last night?" Shawn asked. I didn't want to tell him but I knew that I had to.

"Four hours." I said. Shawn eyes widened.

"That's not enough sleep baby. Come on, let's go nap." He said. I knew that if I put up a fight, he would know that something was going on, so instead, I took his hand and he led me up the stairs and into our bedroom. Shawn held me close to him in his arms and I rested my head on his chest and closed my eyes. Soon, I was asleep.

"Could you just get off my back?" Shawn asked.

"I'm just trying to show you how much I love you. You said you loved it how I do that to you." I said.

"You're so needy and clingy. I'm fucking sick of it. I'm leaving, I'll be back for my stuff in the morning." Shawn said.

"No Shawn, you promised me that you would never leave me." I said, pleading with him. I started to cry.

"Well, that was before this started to annoy me. Just leave me alone and let me leave." Shawn said.

"No Shawn, please don't leave me, please Shawn, don't leave me, you can't leave me." I cried. Shawn walked over to me and shook my shoulders.

"Wake up. Baby, wake up." Shawn said. What?

I sat up in bed quickly, my breathing fast. I was sweaty. I looked at Shawn.

"You okay love?" Shawn asked.

"You're not leaving me, are you?" I asked Shawn. Confusion was etched across his face as he shook his head.

"Never, could I ever leave you. I never will, I promise." Shawn said, but I didn't believe him.

"Someday you'll get sick of how clingy and needy I am and then you'll leave me." I said, starting to cry. Shawn pulled me into him and held me.

"I love the fact that you're clingy, and I'm clingy too. Please don't ever think that I'm going to leave you, because it breaks my heart. You just had a nightmare, that's all." Shawn said, not knowing that I had been having them every single time that I closed my eyes for the past week. I nodded my head.

"Okay." I said.

"Want to lay back down?" Shawn asked. I shook my head.

"No. I want to watch the tv and cuddle with you. I found a great documentary about Meghan Markle that we can watch - if that's okay?" I asked. Shawn smiled and nodded.

"Of course it is honey. Come on, let's go watch it." Shawn said as he rubbed my cheek. We got up and went downstairs. We cuddled up against each other and watched the documentary. My eyes soon grew heavy as nighttime came. "Are you tired babe?" Shawn asked. I nodded.

"Yeah but I want to spend more time with you. How long are you home for?" I asked.

"A week. Come on, let's go to bed." Shawn said as he stood up. I stayed on the couch and grabbed his hand to pull him back down.

"No, I can stay up a little longer. I wish that you could stay home forever." I said. Shawn sat back down on the couch.

"Are you okay love? You seem off." He said. I nodded and smiled as I brushed a loose curl out of his face.

"I'm fine. Just missed you a lot. It's so hard to be away from you." I said, tears springing to my eyes.

"No, no, no. Don't cry baby. I missed you too. Come here." Shawn said as he pulled me close to him as I cried. I cried myself to sleep and soon felt someone lift me up and carry me up to bed.

"Huh? Did you carry me to bed?" I asked as Shawn got in on his side of the bed. He nodded.

"I did. You cried yourself to sleep. Is everything okay?" Shawn asked. I turned so my back was to him. That way, he couldn't see my tears.

"I'm fine Shawn." I said. I fell asleep and then Shawn had to wake me up again because I was having another nightmare. I think that Shawn was catching on, realizing that I kept having nightmares.

"Baby how long have you been having these nightmares for?" Shawn asked. I shook my head no. "You have to tell me or I can't help you." Shawn said.

"A week." I said. Shawn's eyes widened.

"Oh honey, why didn't you tell me? I would have come home sooner." Shawn asked and said.

"I didn't want you to cancel any of your performances because I knew that you would've. I didn't tell you because I didn't want to worry you." I said.

"Baby I want to help you. Please let me help you, and please tell me next time." Shawn pleaded. I shook my head.

"No, if I tell you next time, you'll cancel your performances." I said.

"So? You're more important than anything. You're the most important thing in my life." Shawn said. I smiled.

"I love you Shawn." I said.

"I love you too Y/n. Promise me that you'll tell me next time, okay?" Shawn asked. I thought for a moment before nodding.

"Okay. I promise. But I don't want to fall back asleep." I said. Shawn nodded.

"I know, but if you have a nightmare, I'll be right here. Okay?" Shawn asked. I nodded.

"Okay. Promise me that you'll hold me?" I asked. Shawn smiled, nodded, and kissed my forehead.

"I promise. I'll never let you go. I promise." Shawn said. I smiled and closed my eyes and fell asleep in the arms of the man that I love. For the next couple of days I continued to have nightmares, but, just like he promised, Shawn never let me go, not even once. The nightmares eventually stopped, and by the time that Shawn left, they were completely gone. I'm so grateful for the fact that Shawn is always there for me. I love him so much.