54. Grief

I was sitting on the lounge chair outside on the deck when my boyfriend of four years, Shawn Mendes, stepped outside. He walked over to me and kissed my forehead.

"Hi baby boy." I said.

"Hi honey. Can you come inside with me please? We need to talk." Shawn asked and said. My heart started to race. I didn't move.

"Are you about to break up with me?" I asked. Shawn shook his head violently.

"No no no baby, I could never break up with you. I just need to talk to you about something." Shawn said. I stood up, took his hand, and went inside. We sat on the couch.

"So what's up?" I asked. Shawn paused.

"Your mom called. Aunt Millie passed away." He said. I broke down crying.

"No, that can't be possible. She was so healthy." I said. Shawn held me.

"I know she was, and I hate to say this, but she's gone honey." Shawn said. I cried harder. "I love you baby and I'll always be here for you. I'll go to the funeral with you if you want me to." He said. All I could do was nod. I couldn't even talk because I was crying so hard. Shawn rubbed my back. I finally calmed down enough to talk.

"I love you too. Please come with me. I don't think I'll be able to get through the funeral without you." I said. Shawn nodded.

"Whatever you want pretty girl." Shawn said. I smiled a little.

"I, um, I need to get an outfit ready but I don't have any black clothes." I said.

"I'll take you shopping." Shawn said.

"You don't have to if you don't want to." I said.

"No I want to. You need me right now." He said. I nodded and put my head on his chest. He rubbed my back. The next day Shawn and I went shopping and he bought me a black dress even though I wanted to pay but he insisted. The following day was the day of the funeral. Shawn sat next to me and held me as I cried throughout the service.

For the next few weeks I wandered around the house aimlessly. I tried to read but couldn't focus on the words. I took what would probably be considered too many naps so I wouldn't have to deal with the sadness. Shawn would hold me as I cried myself to sleep. I didn't eat much and lost weight. Shawn and I were sitting at the dining room table when he put our dinner, spaghetti, on the table. I pushed it away from me a little bit.

"I'm not hungry." I said.

"Baby you have to eat. You not being hungry is the grief talking. Please eat honey, I don't like the fact that you haven't been eating much lately." Shawn said. I nodded and picked at my food, slowly but surely eating it. Shawn finished way before me, but still sat at the table.

"You don't have to sit at the table with me since you're done. Go ahead and watch the tv or something honey." I said. Shawn shook his head.

"No, I want to be with you." Shawn said. I broke down crying. "What's wrong my love?" Shawn asked.

"I'm just so scared that you're going to get sick of me moping around and break up with me." I said.

"Oh honey I could never break up with you. I love you too much for that to happen. Baby, you're grieving. This is completely normal, okay?" Shawn said and asked. I willed myself to stop crying and nodded.

"Okay. I love you so much Shawn. Thank you for being there for me." I said.

"I love you too. You're welcome Y/n. I will always be here for you, I promise." Shawn said. I finished eating and Shawn and I cuddled on the couch.