191. Day Trip

My boyfriend of three years is the singer and songwriter, Shawn Mendes. He has to go on tour in a few weeks, so I'm not really looking forward to him leaving, but he's living his dream and that's all that matters... right? I had been cuddled up to Shawn on the couch when I became quiet as I thought about tour and Shawn being away. Shawn had one of his arms around my shoulders as I leaned on him and he gave my shoulder a gentle squeeze. I looked up at him and he looked really concerned.

"You okay my love?" Shawn asked. I faked a smile and nodded.

"Yeah. Why?" I asked.

"Well, first of all, I know that you're lying right now because your lips just twitched, and second of all, you got really quiet all of the sudden. What's wrong darling?" Shawn asked. I sighed and let myself snuggle my head further into Shawn's chest. I didn't want to talk about how I was feeling. I didn't want to sound selfish.

"I love you." I said.

"I love you too, now what's going on in that beautiful head of yours?" Shawn asked. I sighed and finally picked my head up to look at him.

"I don't want to say it because I don't want to sound selfish." I said. Shawn frowned.

"Baby, you're never selfish. What's going on honey?" Shawn asked as he kept his arm around me and started to rub my back.

"I just, I know that you love tour, I know that, but it gets so hard to be away from you. But I know that you're living your dream so that's all that matters, right?" I asked as I looked down. Shawn put his hand to my cheek and made me look up at him. He shook his head.

"Honey, I do love tour, but I love you more. I love you more than anything in this whole world. I know that it's hard to be away from each other, but we always make it work, right?" Shawn asked. I nodded.

"Yeah." I said. Shawn smiled a little.

"And baby, I may be living my dream career wise, but you're my dream life wise. You are all that matters in my life. Not me living my dream career wise. You. Okay?" Shawn asked. I nodded, feeling a bit better.

"Let's go out and do something." I said. Shawn smiled.

"What should we do?" He asked. I thought for a moment before shrugging.

"I don't know." I said. Shawn thought for a moment.

"Let's drive to Maine." Shawn said. My jaw dropped and my eyes widened.

"Really?" I asked. Shawn nodded.

"Yeah. Maybe you could even call your grandparents while we're on the way there and see if I can meet them?" Shawn asked. I smiled and nodded. Somehow, even though Shawn and I had been dating for three years, Shawn had never had the time to meet my grandparents. Shawn and I soon packed up the car and hit the road. While we were on the highway, I pulled out my phone and called my grandmother.

"Hi sweetie, how are you?" She asked.

"I'm good Meimei, how are you?" I asked.

"I'm good. What have you been up to?" She asked. Shawn kept one hand on my thigh as he drove.

"Well, I was wondering what you and Grandpa are doing today?" I asked.

"I have the day off from work and Grandpa isn't doing anything." She said.

"Perfect! I told my boyfriend Shawn that I was bored so we decided to randomly drive to Maine and we're on the highway right now." I said with a giggle.

"Oh yay! Oh I can't wait to meet Shawn! From what you've told me about him, he sounds wonderful." Meimei said. I looked over at Shawn, who was focused on the road, and I smiled.