Chapter 14

Noah's POV

“I'm serious! Wake up”.

She groans.

“But why?!”.

“You need to start being responsible. And you need to stop burning my homes”.

“It was an accident”.

“So were the last five and my college dorm”.

“Hey, your roommate threw a party although you disagreed. And you asked me to bring the party to a sneeze”.

“By starting a fire?”.

“Fires stop everything!”.

“And burn everything! And apparently, they help wake lazy people up” I smirk the last part.

Malia looks at me then down at herself. She was fully awake and standing on the bed.

“Ugh Nacho...!” she whines and drops back onto the bed.

“My work here is done because I know you won't be able to sleep again” I smile.

“Why do you want me to wake up early? It's not like I have a job”.

I slip on my scrubs.

“I need you to not not have a job”.

She furrows her brows.

“Okay, for a doctor, you have a way with words”.

I chuckle.

“You're a doctor too. That's why it'd be great to see you use those words”.

She sits up and brings her knees to her chest. I sigh and walk towards the bed. I take a seat.

“Malia Frederica Bourne...”.

“Oh gross, you said the name; now I feel like a hipster” she murmurs taking my hand and dropping her face on her knees.

I chuckle and tug her hand making her look up.

“You are not a hipster. But the best Cardiac Surgeon I know”.

“You're just saying that. You're a best friend. Best friends are programed to say nice things about their fellow best friend, even when they screw up”.

“That's not true. You never say nice things about me”.

“And you never screw up. I know, the world's not fair” she pouts.

I chuckle.

“Look, if it is about...”.

She squeezes my hand.

“I don't wanna...”.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////\

Malia's POV

I shut my eyes and squeeze his hand. The memory was all too fresh.

“I don't wanna...”.

“You think Ivy would have wanted this?”.

“Noah...”.

“She died. So what? You don't have to keep blaming yourself. It's the part of the job that'll never get easier. People come and go...”.

“But it's better to watch them go alive then dead! Noah” I shake my head. “She wasn't just a person, you know that. She was my friend and my first” my voice drops in almost a whisper.

“I couldn't save my first patient Noah”.

I was trying not to cry. He hated it when those he cared about cried.