Chapter 27

Alexis' POV

“And there you go my princess...” dad finishes planting a kiss on my nose.

I smile at him as he goes round packing up the first aid kit.

“You know, I never thought of you as the health care type”.

He looks over his shoulder.

“Really? Your mother and I used to play hospital all the time” he goes, dragging the 'all'.

I stare at him. Then he winks.

“Eww dad!” I whine making a face.

He laughs. I reach out for my novel; Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon. I look up.

“Is this really, really necessary Jace?” I ask. “I mean I'm fine”.

He was still packing up.

“You and your mother have the habit of saying that just to get rid of me” he smiles and looks at me. “But guess what? It never works”.

“How can I show up at at Mia's wedding on Saturday if I have bandages on my legs?” I murmur with a pout.

“It's not a big deal princess. You're just going to have to wear a really, really long dress”.

I hug my knees.

“Dad it's been 2 weeks. No person should wear bandages for more than 2 hours”.

“And since when did you become a doctor?”.

I shrug.

“I might have happened to get a doctorate degree as I slept through an entire year, two and a half months, six hours and three seconds... of my life”.

His expression changes.

“You're playing the sleep card? Really?”.

“Dad I've always wanted to be a normal kid!” I whine.

“Define normal”.

“Someone who didn't require a limo taking her to school every morning. Or bodyguards following her around 24/7. And most importantly, didn't need a personal butler tasting her food first or checking the depth of snow or amount of sun rays before stepping out to go play with her auditioned friends”.

He chortles.

“Dad, you and mom are great parents okay? But doing a background check on every boy I had a crush on in middle school wasn't very...”.

I struggle to find the right words.

“Parenting appropriate?” he asks.

“Exactly!” I agree, pointing at him.

He laughs.

“Dad I love you. And mom. But this has got to stop, please”.

He jammed his hands in his front pockets.

“It's like the universe was listening to the helpless cries of the 8 year old girl who had absolutely no real friends. It answered”

His expression changes as folds his arms. I quickly react realizing what I just said.

“I'm not saying I'm psyched to not be a werewolf anymore... although I like... come from a very long line of ultra, super-duper cool wolves like mom and yourself”.

His lips curl into a smile.

“I just want you guys to stop being so overprotective now, please? I'm old enough to take care of myself”.