Chapter 23

Mia's POV

“Hey, can we make a pitstop at Mills for some coffee? I didn't sleep much last night. And you need a whole gallon” I say. “Look at you. It's like that little wife of yours doesn't feed you at all”.

Max chuckles.

“Nial, if you could please?”.

“Yes of course Alpha Max” the driver nods.

We park in the driveway of the coffee shop. He unbuckles his seat belt.

“What would you like Alpha Max...”

“I've got it Nial. Relax. I know my brother even better than our mother knows him” I say, stepping out first.

“Well aren't you the sweetest today” Max teases.

“You have Eric to thank for my good mood” I say with a wink.

Max smiles as I close the door behind me. I adjust my burgundy top and pull its sleeves over my fingers. I head inside the coffee shop. It was packed and there was a long line. I sigh and flip my hair.

“Time to go old school” I murmur and walk right up to the front, slamming some money on the counter.

“Hey! You can't just cut the line!”.

“Yeah!”.

I ignore the voices behind me.

“I'd like a large cup of black coffee and em... do you have Caffè Affogato? I would like some of that too if you could” I say eyes glued to my phone.

“Hey can someone call security on this woman?! She can't just cut the line!” people shout.

“Excuse me, Miss, I'm afraid you're going to have to join the line...”.

I shoot the barista a look. His eyes widen.

“Miss Mia... ermm... forgive my manners... I had no idea it was... please, I need this job”.

I roll my eyes and turn to the other barista.

“Just get me my coffee please?” he nods and immediately scurries off.

I turn to the first one.

“Would you like something else Miss Mia?” he asks with a nervous smile.

Dude, it's a coffee shop... and it's not even Starbucks standard.

“Maybe a glass of water...?”.

I smirk.

“You know, I haven't had breakfast yet so... how about, two eggs; fried or poached, sliced bacon or sausages, sliced bread or toast with jam or jelly or butter; I'm good with either, pancakes with syrup, cornflakes or other cereal, and some grapefruit juice” I end with a smile.

He stares at me confused. I look at the little book he'd picked up and it's empty.

“Should I go over that again?” I ask.

“But this is a coffee shop Miss Mia”.

I gasp dramatically.

“Is it?! My, my, that's quite unfortunate isn't it?!”.

He looks at me, frightened to death. I smile.

“Now why don't you be a doll and get me my all American breakfast?”.

“Or not” someone says slipping beside me. “I was wondering why you were taking so long and then I realized it's Mia I was dealing with. I knew you'd be bullying someone”.