Chapter 3

☆Alexis' POV

I don't even realize when she parks at the university's parking lot.

“We're here” she taps me.

Poppy squeals and runs out of the car.

“Woah, woah, woah hold up!” auntie Cassidy cries stopping her. “Remember you're grounded...” she fixes her gaze on Ruth-Alma “... both of you”.

“Oh come on mom. How was I supposed to know it wasn't dangerous? I attacked in self defense” the twelve year old goes.

“You attacked because you knew it belonged to Alexandra” aunt Cassidy says. “You just didn't like the idea of someone else staying in the house!”

“Well that was before I knew she was my cousin!”.

I step down from the car.

“Well this conversation isn't bringing my hamster from the vet, is it?” I say and pull my luggage out of the trunk.

Auntie Cassidy looks sadly at me.

“You're not still mad are you?”.

“She was a gift from my dad's grandmother. I was supposed to be responsible for her. And your daughter goes and practically cripples it”.

“Alexandra...”.

I hold up a hand.

“It's okay, I can take it from here. You go ahead and get to Ruth-Alma's audition” I say and thread a hand through my hair.

“No, I have to at least go with you to the admissions office and see your dorm room...”.

“I know how this works aunt Cassidy. I'll be fine”.

“No way. Lets go girls. Grab what you can... you know what, lemme just call a porter”.

“That's not necessary...”.

“Zip it missy. I'm not doing this for you. I'm doing it to satisfy myself. And we both know if your mother was here, a moving truck would have brought your stuff”.

True.

I sigh and cross my arms. A short while later, a man is wheeling my stuff into the campus building. I follow aunt Cassidy to the admissions building. My phone rings.

“Hi dad” I try to sound cheerful. “You do realize Melbourne is sixteen hours ahead of Colorado right?”.

“Yes of course. But that doesn't stop me from checking in on my favorite girl”.

I chuckle.

“What's happening? Mia's not giving you attention anymore?”.

He lets out a soft laugh.

“Well no... and yes”.

I shake my head and look up at the blazing summer sun.

Summer in January... nothing beats this.

“The weather is awesome here by the way”.

“Well it's snowing as I speak”.

No thank you!

“So are you at the college yet?”

“As we speak. I'm heading to the admissions office. Register, get a dorm, classes... those college stuff”.

“I'm proud of you kiddo”.

I smile warmly.

“Thanks dad”.