Chapter 15

Alexis' POV

I pull away from him and his arms fly away from my back. He stares at me; his expression unreadable.

“I'm sorry. I don't know what came over me” I say scratching the back of my head.

I look away, glance at my feet then back at him.

“You should be more careful...”.

“I was being very careful! I don't know where that car...”.

His forehead puckers and I shut up.

“I mean...” I just nod “... I will be very careful”.

He nods and walks away. I let out a breath I hadn't realized I was holding.

“Oh my God! What just happened?!” I whisper to myself.

A doctor walks past me and I remember aunt Cass. I hurry back. She rolls her eyes the second she sees me. She was now in her navy blue scrubs.

“I was about to come and look for you. What took you so long?”.

I saw my gorgeous man and yet again, he saves me.

“I was being very careful. I didn't want to drop your coat. It's a big day for you” I grin.

She raises a brow as she slips her arms inside the coat and fixes the collar.

“Are you okay?”.

I breathe out.

“Yes, totally”.

“Then why are you smiling so much?”.

“I'm happy for you”.

She frowns and peeps closer into my face.

“Are you sweating?!”.

I drop the smile and feel my forehead.

“What are you talking about? I don't sweat” I chuckle.

“Yeah, now there's something definitely wrong” she says and slips her hand in her pocket.

She pulls out her phone.

“I'll let Derek come take you home”.

“No!” I cry nearly slapping her phone out of her hand.

Her eyes widen at me.

“You don't have to do that” I say, softly now. “I just have to use the bathroom really bad.

She eyes me a puts her phone back.

“Fine. I think it's that way. Through the...”.

“Doctor Emerson?”.

We both turn to the voice.

“Yes that's me” she answers the nurse.

“The director would like to see you. This way please”.

“Right. One sec” she turns to me and reaches into the pockets of her scrubs.

“Here; credit card, some cash... I'm keeping the car keys though... and here...”.

She takes off the identification card around her neck.

“Don't worry, I have a tag. You can go check out the doctor's lounge with this one. Please, don't run away or get into any kind of trouble hm? I'll come find you when my shift is over okay?”.

I nod and she's gone.

“Bye?” I call after her.

I take a seat in one of the metal chairs in the reception and dump the stuff she handed me into my lap. I arrange the money and slip it into my pocket along with the credit card. Then I examine the ID card.