Bonus Chapter

☆ Alexis' POV

I squeeze my eyes shut as I keep my fingers crossed.

Please be good, please be good, please be good!

I hear a rattle and then a click. Then I hear her suck in a sharp breath. I open my eyes and stare at her blank expression.

“Pop? What's happening?” Ruth-Alma asks slowly.

“Sweetie are you okay?” aunt Cassidy asks. “Is she in shock?” she whispers to uncle Rob who was standing behind her.

“Maybe if you'd put the camera down, dad, your youngest daughter wouldn't be frozen right now” Ruth-Alma rolls her eyes.

“Would you guys relax?” I scold and glance at Poppy. “Pop, you doing okay?”.

She slowly nods.

“What does it say?” Ruth-Alma asks, nibbling on her nails.

Poppy lets out a louder breath and I watch her shoulders droop. I'm about to comfort her when her eyes light up and her mouth curves into a smile.

“I got a three-thirty!” she screams.

“Aaaahhhh!” we all scream along.

Poppy lets out a laugh as her parents jump up and down in their now-empty living room. Ruth-Alma pops a bottle of champagne and lets out a whoop.

“You better not spill that on Mia's fifty-thousand-dollar rug” I caution.

“Who buys something you put your feet on for fifty thousand dollars?” Ruth-Alma scoffs. “That's irresponsible”.

“Only you would think that” Mia cuts in.

Then she smiles through the camera.

“Oh we're so proud of you, Poppy,” she tells her. “You should all come visit soon. Mom will be thrilled. That goes for you too Alexis” she gives me a pointed look.

I chuckle.

“Mm hm,” I hum.

“Hey, you should totally go out with your friends tonight,” Rae says to her sister.

“Nope. I'm going to take a shower, order myself some Chinese soup and go to bed” Poppy chuckles. “It's been a tough ride”.

“What?!” Ruth-Alma shrieks. “You just got a three hundred and thirty on your bar exam and you want to celebrate by drinking cold Chinese soup?”.

Poppy shrugs.

“Have I not taught you anything as your cooler sister?” Ruth-Alma sighs.

“Oh tell me about it” Mia rolls her eyes. “That one graduated with honors in college and celebrated by binge-watching Modern Family”.

I chuckle.

“It's a good show!” I defend.

“Agreed” Poppy adds.

Aunt Cassidy laughs.

“I think we might have switched you girls up somewhere” uncle Rob teases.

“Well, I gotta go or I'm not going to get any good cold Chinese soup” Poppy giggles.

“Okay. We love you honey!” aunt Cassidy screams.

“And we're super proud of you, Miss Lawyer!” I cheer.

Poppy laughs.

“Bye!” she waves and disconnects the call.

I smile.