Chapter 1

~Seven Years Later~

☆ Colton's POV

I slowly open the door and walk inside. There she was, seated in front of the vanity, with a brush in her hand. I watch her slowly lift it up and gently stroke her hair. Her chestnut hair flows down her back and then I hear her groan.

“C'mon!” she mutters angrily, tugging at the brush that had gotten tangled up with her hair. “Why does this always happen?”.

I smile and clear my throat.

“You know...”.

“No, no, father. I got it” she says, tugging hardly at the brush.

“Care...”.

Her hand slips and she tumbles sideways, off the stool. I'm quick to catch her before she hits the ground.

“Or not” she whispers, clutching my arm.

“It's okay” I tell her. “I've got you”.

I lift her and walk over to the wheelchair to set her down.

“I just wanted to do it by myself”.

I nod.

“I know, Alina” I say to her. “But it's okay to ask for help when you're struggling, okay?”.

She nods.

“Now, may I?”.

A little smile creeps up her face and she nods. I carefully untangle the brush from her hair and she winches.

“Is there a lot of hair stuck in it?” she asks, fumbling around to feel for the brush.

I take her hand and guide her fingers to feel the bristles of the brush. She smiles widely.

“No hair!”.

I chuckle.

“That's because you started well” I tell her.

She smiles and squeezes my hand. I stand.

“Now, are you ready to go?”.

She nods.

“Is mother here?”.

I tense up.

“Father?” she calls out, throwing her hands in front of her.

“Right here” I say, taking a hand.

She lowers her other hand.

“She's not coming with me again, is she?”.

“Honey...”.

“You don't have to keep making excuses for her, father. I know mother doesn't like me very much”.

“Alina don't...”.

“It's not her fault I can't see or walk”.

“Hey” I say firmly.

She blinks, still staring at nothing in particular.

“Your mother loves you in her own way okay? This is just too hard for her and you know she still grieves your sister”.

My daughter shakes her head.

“For fifteen years, father?” she whispers. “She treats me like I'm invisible”.

“You're not invisible, Alina. I see you... everyday. For these past fifteen years, I've always seen you and I will always see you” I cup her face in my hands. “Your grandparents, your aunt, we all see you Alina. So what if your mother is still brooding? I love you and I will always love you”.