Chapter 16

Alexis' POV

Their whispers die down as soon as I walk in.

“Who's ready for some girl time?!” I chirp.

Poppy exchanges looks with her sister before she gets off the bed.

“Well?” I ask, plastering a big smile on my face.

It'd been a week since Dr. Noah the tall, handsome, brown curly hair with matching brown eyes and incredibly attractive facial hair who took a slap for me kicked me to the curb and asked me to go take a nap.

I was hurt. But it was okay.

“What?” Ruth-Alma asks.

“Aren't you excited for our girls night?”.

Poppy looks at what I'm holding.

“What are those?”.

“They're pompoms. Our theme tonight is cheerleaders” I grin. “C'mon, help me get extra pillows. The popcorn should be ready any minute now”.

“Alex? We kinda wanted to talk to you about something” Poppy says, fiddling with one end of her pigtails.

I pause and turn to them.

“Yeah sure, what's up?” I ask.

She looks at Ruth-Alma who urges her on.

“Well you see, isn't it kinda depressing that it's Friday night and you're planning yet another themed girls night with your twelve and nine year old cousins?”.

I pout.

“No. I love our themed girls night and I love hanging out with you two”.

She sighs.

“We love hanging out with you too Alexis but you see...” she sits back on the bed. “... you're turning twenty soon. I'm only nine and I had to cancel plans to be here tonight. Rae had a date, but we both had to cancel and...”.

I could tell where did was going. I let out a weary sigh and throw the pompoms on the floor.

I was tired of these hangouts too. But I didn't know the girls were tired of seeing my face all the time.

“Sorry” Ruth-Alma whispers.

“No, no it's okay” I say and settle in between them. “I totally get it. I mean I would be tired of doing the same old boring things with my way older and hotter cousin” I say.

“You're not hot” Ruth-Alma says and Poppy laughs.

I laugh too.

“I just wanna be not grounded so I can get out of this house!”.

“You know, you can go with mom to work”.

I frown at Poppy's statement.

“I'm tired of being verbally abused and mishandled Poppy. I have feelings too”.

“Like how you cried when Dr. Serrano told you to leave?” Ruth-Alma scoffs.

My eyes lock on hers and she freezes.

“Oh boy” Poppy whispers.

“Pop, I think I'm going to sleep in your bed tonight” Ruth-Alma whispers taking a slow step towards the door.

I grab a pillow and start to chase her. She runs off screaming.

“I am going to kill you!”.

“No! Dad! She's insane!”.