Chapter 20

°6 Years Later°

Alexis' POV

I balance the mail in one arm and the three cups of whip cream latte in the other arm and somehow try to get my keys into the keyhole. I jiggle it and it clicks open.

She runs down the stairs and jumps onto the landing.

"You're going to hurt yourself one of these days" I tell her.

"And you are going to lose your arms if you keep up the superman act" she quips and helps me out.

"Haha very funny".

She chuckles. I drop the mail on the counter and get myself a bottle of water. Casually sipping it I filter through the mail. My tracker beeps and I stand up to walk around.

"Hey Rae?" I call.

"Yeah?" she answers coming out from the downstairs bathroom. “Where are my pearls?”

I look her up and down.

"What are you wearing?" I chuckle gulping down the water now.

"Clothes. And I need my pearls. Have you seen them?".

“I didn't even know you owned pearls now” I laugh.

“I'm almost eighteen Alexis. Plus I have rich parents, you and a super hot boyfriend. So don't ask me where I get stuff from”.

I laugh.

“Why am I in your equation?”.

She groans.

“Point is I'm old enough to own pearls”.

I bob my head.

"Yes your fashion sense has clearly spiraled".

She looks at me with her hands on her hips.

"I know for a fact that you had a very poor fashion sense when you were my age".

"I had just gotten rid of my braces and my six bodyguards. Can't blame me".

She scoffs.

"I was right".

I shrug. She pauses for a second and stares at me.

“What? Do I have something on my face?”.

"No. But didn't you have that thing very important thing at work today?".

I furrow my brows.

"What very important thi—?".

We both meet each other's eye and simultaneously turn to the chalkboard reminder on the kitchen wall. My eyes widen.

"Oh my gosh!" I cry.

Ruth-Alma cracks up.

"You forgot today was the big presentation?! The presentation you've been going on and on and on about, not even bothering to eat or sleep well?!".

"Shushhh! AJ, you are so screwed!" I scream and ran upstairs.

I jump in the shower and I'm out within the twinkle of an eye. I throw on something, fix my hair and grab my keys. I race down the stairs and Ruth-Alma is still there.

"Wow you're a mess. Why would anyone choose to dress this way on the day they get a promotion?".

“I'm not getting a promotion Ruth-Alma. I don't even know if I'd want it”.

She purses her lips and taps her chin thoughtfully.

“Still... you look awful”.

I stop and glance down at my dress.