Chapter 27

☆ Cassandra's POV

The smell of cedar and grapefruit reach my nose before I hear the knock on my home design studio door. I don't look up.

“You coming to bed?” I hear him ask.

I don't answer.

“Should I get Gemma to bring you something to eat? You barely touched your dinner and you refused to have dessert”.

I don't answer.

“Cassandra?”.

I sigh and look up at him from the temple I'm drawing on my tablet.

“Are you coming to bed?” he repeats.

“I'm busy Jace” I reply and get back to the drawing.

“Do you need an assistant?”.

“I have an assistant, Jace. She's asleep and you should be too. When I'm done, I'll go to bed. Goodnight”.

He lingers in the doorway and I ignore him.

“About what Alexis said, Cass—”.

“It's a little too late for an explanation, Jace. Now I have a lot of things to get done, so if you don't mind, there's the door”.

He stays still for a while before nodding and reluctantly walking away. I let out a breath and walk over to the door to lock it.

I can't believe them!

I turn around and my heart skips a beat at the person I see.

“I'm sorry for barging in like this Mrs. Graham. If I asked to see you, you would have refused so I just decided to come through your window. I didn't mean to startle you”.

I look at him.

“You didn't” I tell him, moving back to my chair. “How may I help you Noah?”.

“I just wanted to apologize for Alexis' behavior tonight. I know she didn't mean any of what she said”.

I arch a brow.

“You're dating my daughter and suddenly you know when she means something and when she doesn't?”.

He sighs.

“Ma'am, I never grew up having a mother like you who's got my best interest at heart. You've raised Alexis to be a wonderful person and I hate to be the reason your relationship with your daughter is ruined”.

"You know, all this isn't going to get me to approve of whatever you have going on with my daughter, right?”.

“Ma'am, I'm not saying this to get you to like me. It's the truth. And honestly, I believe you're the only one who cares the most about Alexis”.

I scoff lightly and shake my head.

“Mrs. Graham” he calls out to me.

I look at him and he begins to take off his jacket and start to unbottom his shirt.

What is he doing?!

He takes off his shirt and steps under the brightest light in my studio. He turns his back to me and I see the unique mark the back of his left shoulder that glows. I gasp.

No!

“You're a—”.

He turns and his eyes are a different color with his fangs acceding.

“My entire pack is full of primordials” he says, his voice suddenly changing too.

I feel a chill travel through me.