Chapter 30

☆ Cassandra's POV

I push the doorbell and the only six year old in the entire household pulls the door open.

“Hey sweetie. Is your grandma home?”.

She folds her arms.

“So I'm not supposed to say anything, but if you give me fifty bucks, I'll let you in and tell you what's really going on”.

I smile and bend down to her height.

“I have a much better idea, Ana Paula” I say. “You let me in, and I don't tell anyone that you're asking for a bribe from the woman who babysat your mother her entire childhood”.

She drops her hands and steps out of the doorway.

“I think your idea's much better. Please, come in”.

I straighten myself and step into the house, patting the top of her head.

“Good girl”.

She closes the door and runs off, making me chuckle a little. I take the first left turn and stop abruptly at the scene I walk into.

“Surprise!” she chirps excitedly and twists the buttom of the confetti cannon, releasing the beautiful display of colors.

On second thought, I should have taken that deal.

“I made your favorite... spinach corn rolled enchiladas” she announces. “Abuela Bianca's recipe of course”.

I chuckle.

“Isa, this is why you called me?” I ask.

She nods with a huge grin on her face.

“You know you want it” she wiggles her eyebrows at me.

“Isabel, did Jace put you up to this?” I ask.

“No” she quickly replies. “Why would you even think like that?”.

I arch a brow.

“So you made this... out of the blue... for no reason?”.

She makes her way closer to me.

“I made this because you're my best friend and I love you... and I know how much you love spinach corn rolled enchiladas”.

“Not because my husband put you up to this?” I ask again.

“No”.

I give her a look.

“Okay so maybe he mentioned it one time”.

I cross my arms.

“Fine, fine, pretty boy put me up to this. You happy?”.

I shrug and take a seat at the dining table.

“Not really. I drove seven miles here”.

“Oh c'mon Cassia” she groans.

“I'm not even going to ask you not to call me that anymore, because we're too old for that”.

She makes a face at me.

“Just move back in with the poor man, please? I've never seen pretty boy that miserable since...” she pauses. “Actually I've never seen him that miserable”.

I shake my head.

“I mean it's been thirty-three years and I still don't like the guy” she chuckles.

“Get to the point, Isa”.

She sighs and pulls a seat beside me.

“My point is that I think you should move back in with Jace”.