Chapter 7

☆ Alexis' POV

I loudly slurp my watermelon lemonade as I keep watching the girl seated across the lawn.

What is she doing?

“Hey, they're done with the first section of the remodeling and you should come see. It's gorgeo... what are you doing?”.

“Ria, that girl's been seated there since morning” I say to my assistant. “Doing nothing”.

She joins me by the window.

“So?”.

“So, she could be lost” I say. “Let's go ask her”.

“No, no, no, no” Alvira stops me.

“Why the hell not?”.

“Because it's none of your business. Your job is to do what you do best and I came here to come get you to go see the results of your work, not play 'Who's your mommy?', Alexis”.

I frown.

“That's offensive, Ria” I tell her.

“Whatever. If you want to go be Miss Marvel, you're on your own. As for me, I'm going out”.

I know what she means but I ask anyway.

“Going out where?”.

“Jamaal's taking me sightseeing” she beams.

Oh, Lord.

“Haven't you two been sightseeing for days now?”.

“So? It's my lunch break and I can do whatever I want” she says.

“Okay, okay” I chuckle. “But hurry back. If you're late again, I'll fire you”.

“I'd like to see you try” she chuckles.

I arch a brow at her and she stops laughing.

“Okay bye!”.

She hurries out and I shake my head. I look out the window and the girl is still seated there.

I can't just pretend not to see her. I'm going over.

I toss my cup in the trash and walk outside. The workers greet me as I pass by. I cross the lawn over to the little girl seated on the bench.

“Hi sweetie, may I sit?” I ask.

She just nods.

“What are... what are you doing outside?”.

“Just getting air” she replies, her voice soft and innocent.

She just kept looking straight ahead. She wasn't blinking and she was clutching at the bench's edge tightly because her knuckles were whitened.

“Err... you're not lost are you?” I ask.

She shakes her head and the wind sends her hair flying into her face. She doesn't bother to brush it off.

“I was supposed to be on a play date with my friends but when they helped me sit on the bench, they run off with my wheelchair”.

Wheelchair?

I furrow my brows and glance at her legs. She was wearing full stockings underneath the baby pink dress that complimented her blue eyes perfectly. She had very long chestnut hair that flowed down her back and on her feet were really pretty sparkly shoes.

“What's your name, sweetheart?” I ask, reaching out to tuck her hair behind her ear.

“Alina” she replies.