Chapter 10

☆ Shannon's POV

I watch her, from the corner of the room, as she taps her foot anxiously, and occasionally lifts her head which was currently in her palms. Footsteps reach my ears and I turn.

“Oh, sweetie!” Amber coos, opening her arms to hug me. “We heard and got here as fast as we could”.

I give her a tight-lipped smile and gently shove her off me as she was expecting her fifth child.

“You doing okay?”.

I nod and shake the rest of her fingers that linger on my arm off. Alexis lifts her head just as Noah walks in with a cup of water.

“Drink this” he whispers to her.

She looks at him desperately, her chin resting on her fingertips.

“How are you so calm?” she asks.

“I have to be” he responds. “Because our son's going to be fine”.

I rub my arms and let out a sigh. Colton was watching them with that look in his eyes when he disliked something. I'd never seen him use that look on a person before. I sigh, close my eyes, and rub my arms again.

Please let this nightmare end.

The door to the waiting room opens and I open my eyes. Alexis stands up so fast that she almost trips herself but Noah easily catches her steady... like it was something he was used to doing.

“How are they doing, Doctor Finnigan?”.

Colton's voice causes me to stop staring at the couple and I blink.

“Fine. They're both stable now” the doctor answers.

The relief everyone lets out fills the room.

“So can I see my son?” Alexis asks.

“No, I'm sorry, miss”.

“But you said they're fine” Colton frowns.

“Yes but...”.

“Why is there a but if they're fine?” Zariana asks.

The doctor sighs.

“Doctor Finnigan, please. Tell us what's really going on” I say, stepping out of the corner.

“The boy just fell asleep. He's fine but we need to keep him under observation for a few days to make sure he's truly fine before we let him go”.

“And Alina?” Alexis and I ask in unison.

I look at her and she looks at me.

“It appears she suffered a lot more than the boy. While he got away with a few scratches, she didn't. She suffered a severe concussion and multiple injuries. It appears she might have shielded the little boy that's how come he got away with fewer injuries” the doctor explains.

My heart tugs.

“Right now she's unconscious. We'll have to wait for her to regain consciousness to know if any other damage was caused” he continues.

“Oh my God” Alexis whispers and turns to look at Noah who doesn't say a word but just wraps her in a hug.

He gently rubs her back and Zariana gives me a sad look.

“She'll be okay” she whispers to me.

I nod and nervously tap my cheek.

“You know, I'm not sure Jason made the right choice hiring you to work on that castle”.