Chapter 28

☆ Alexis' POV

The months go by and it's quiet everywhere... even the rogues seemed like they were tired of being the bad guys and attacking us all the time.

Noah finally found his birth parents and proposed to me. Our engagement party was tonight and we were inviting Noah's birth parents.

Mom? Well, she hadn't objected to anything in past eight months.

I take in a deep breath and stand up from the vanity when there's a little knock on my door

I take in a deep breath and stand up from the vanity when there's a little knock on my door. Mia smiles at me as she steps inside the room with her five year old daughter, Madeline.

“You look really pretty, baby” Mia gushes.

I smile.

“You look prettier, Meredith” I chuckle lightly and bend down to Madeline. “And you, Maddie, your ruffles make you the prettiest in the entire house today”.

She giggles and moves around the room. I stand up and let out the faintest of sighs.

“Are you okay?” Mia asks.

I nod.

“Yeah, yeah”.

She arches a brow at me.

“You never say 'yeah' twice”.

I chuckle.

“I'm fine Mia” I say, moving over to the window seat.

She follows me.

“Alexis”.

“Mia” I say in the same tone.

“What's wrong?” she asks again.

I take a while before answering.

“I just... miss working” I lie.

“But you work”.

“Not from home” I sigh. “I miss actually going to work”.

“Of this is about your assistant, we invited her and the close co-workers you have. And besides, you can always go back to work after the wedding”.

I look at her with an uneasy expression.

“Uh-oh. You're having doubts aren't you?”.

I close my eyes and let out a little whimper.

“Alexis don't you want this?” Mia asks, touching my shoulder. “He proposed—”.

“And I said yes” I finish. “And I don't regret it but... Mia, this doesn't feel right”.

She gives me a look.

“Is this about mom?” she asks. “What did she say this time?”.

I stand up in frustration.