Chapter 10

𝑰 𝒂𝒎 99% 𝒂𝒏𝒈𝒆𝒍, 𝒃𝒖𝒕 𝒐𝒉𝒉𝒉𝒉, 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 1%.

𝐓𝐇𝐔𝐑𝐒𝐃𝐀𝐘 𝐌𝐎𝐑𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐆𝐒 𝐌𝐔𝐒𝐓 𝐁𝐄, 𝐓𝐘𝐏𝐈𝐂𝐀𝐋𝐋𝐘, 𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐍 𝐆𝐀𝐕𝐈 𝐇𝐀𝐒 𝐓𝐈𝐌𝐄 𝐓𝐎 𝐇𝐀𝐍𝐆 𝐎𝐔𝐓 𝐖𝐈𝐓𝐇 𝐌𝐄. He tells me this. Almost every Thursday, we go to a little place somewhere, and it's really nice. We find quiet little places. Those are the kinds of places we both like. We're kind of similar, in some ways.

My friends ask me where I am on Thursday mornings. I tell them, "I'm seeing a guy."

"Oh? Why haven't you told us about him?" Charli asks, leaning over the dinner table.

I shrug. "Kind of keeping it quiet. He's a real sweetheart."

"What's his name?" Aggie asks, looking up.

"Oh, it's a secret," I grin. "You don't know him, but he made me promise not to tell anyone about it. That's all. I want to keep to my word."

"Did he give you that bracelet you've been wearing all the time?" Aggie says, her eyebrows raising.

I can't help but let my face heat. "Yeah, actually. Like I said, he's sweet. Real sweet guy. Quiet. But the sweetest.

"He sounds amazing," Charli grins. "I wish I could meet him. How does he look?"

"Uh, well, you know. Dark hair. Dark eyes. Good looking. He's nice." I don't know why I'm lying about dating him. Maybe because deep inside, I kind of wish that was truth.

"I thought you kind of wanted to avoid guys," Aggie inquires. "I thought that was your whole thing, wasn't it?"

I grin, shaking my head. Of course it's my thing, Aggie. "Yeah, well, if you met him, you'd understand. Kind of not to fall for him, if you knew him. If he ever lets me introduce you guys with him, you'd get it. He's good. The most handsome, and super sweet. Sweeter than honey." I really am not too sure why I'm so intent on complimenting Gavi so much. I guess I don't really get to talk about him. Because he really is kind, sweet... Yeah, anyway, right. Can't be getting carried away with any boys now, can we?

The next Thursday meeting, while me and Gavi are on a quiet country walk, he says, "Tomorrow, want to meet me and Pedri after training? We usually go out Fridays after training. You could come to us."

"Where do you go?" I grin. "The bar?"

"Uh, no..." he says, clearing his throat, glancing away from my eyes. I didn't mean to make him feel uncomfortable... "That isn't really me and Pedri's thing. Usually we go out for food. We have a favorite restaurant we go to often. I've been wanting to bring you there, so this is perfect. I can go with both my friends, you know?"

I nod, loving the fact that we're friends. "Yeah, I'm super pumped to meet Pedri, too. I think it'll be great, Gavi. Meet you at training when it's over, in my car?"

"Yeah, sounds good," he smiles, and is sure to tell me where to park and when.

The next day, Friday afternoon, I tell my girls I'm going out with my man again. I drive to the training, waiting for Pedri and Gavi to come out. I hate that my heart beats faster when I spot Gavi walking out, sweaty from training. I'm excited when I see Pedri behind him. I honk my horn, to let them know it's me.

They get to the car, and Gavi says, nudging his friend, "I call shotgun, Pedri."

Pedri just smiles good-naturedly. "Aw man. Okay. I don't really mind sitting in the back. Hi, you're Ember?" 

I smile, leaning behind to view him. Not as handsome as Gavi. Still charming, I suppose. "Yeah, hey. Gavi, you wanna drive? You know where this restaurant is better than me."

Gavi nods, and we switch seats. Once we get driving, I say to Pedri, shaking his hand, "It really is a pleasure to meet you."

He smiles broader. "I think we have met before this, Ember."

I laugh, rolling my eyes. "That didn't count I was drunk out of my mind when I met you for the first time."

He nods, that smile remaining. "It's a pleasure to meet you too, then, Ember. It really is. Gavi has only said good about you."

"Oh, really?" I ask, interested. "What has he said?"

"Not much," Gavi cuts in, quietly, casually, but also quickly.

"Oh, just that you're pleasant, and you keep yourself well. Very impressive girl, he says, because of your discipline and devotion. Says you're generous, and always willing to serve. Generally, from what he says, you seem like a very pleasant person. Nothing bad from him."

I nod, can't helping but beaming at this. I nudge Gavi. "You're so sweet."

He rolls his eyes, a smile in his beautiful brown eyes.

Not beautiful.

Just brown eyes.

I turn back to Pedri. "I have heard good about you, too. Gavi says you're his best friend. He loves hanging around you, and you guys click well. Says you get along on the pitch, during training, and basically everywhere else. Says you're just a really good guy. Good natured and lighthearted. That's what he says."

"Thank you, Gavi," Pedri says, beaming much like I just was. "Don't we both have such a nice friend here?" Pedri pats his friend's shoulder from behind.

Gavi laughs softly, looking kind of embarrassed, his cheeks kind of pink. I don't like him, but I can't help but realize it's cute. "You guys need to stop complimenting me so much. You're going to increase my pride too much. You're making me embarrassed. I'm not that good."

"Oh, don't lie like that, Gavi," I giggle.

"Yeah, Gavi, you're good, man. If you're going to be such an awesome friend, I guess you ust have to deal with the compliments. It's your fault for being so nice, no?"

"Oh brother," he laughs, rolling his eyes for about the one hundredth time. "You guys are too nice."

"No, you are," me and Pedri say in unison, then laugh, sharing a look, knowing how much we're annoying Gavi with our compliments. We're teasing him together, and it's fun.

For some reason, I think that it might be nice if me, Gavi, and Pedri went out more often together. I still don't want to give up the one on one time with just Gavi, too, though. But I think I really could get along with them great.

It feels amazing to fit right in with two extremely famous footballers, who are best friends.